Symposia occur 5-6 times each year as a gathering moment for postgraduate students and staff to discuss a range of topics and ideas.
The purpose of symposia is to 'help postgrads and staff flourish in their workplaces and see how all knowledge finds its fullness in Christ.'
The Next Symposia:
PeaceWise with Bruce Burgess – 12pm April 30 – Merewether 476
Tired of being buffeted by conflict around you? Wondering what God is doing when peace is absent?
In this symposia, you will:
• Learn a simple framework for understanding and dealing with conflict
• Gain powerful peacemaking principles and relational tools
• Understand the biblical foundations of peace and reconciliation
• Discover gracious ways to deal with difficult people
• Have time to reflect upon your personal experience of conflict and peacemaking
• Learn how you can begin supporting and building a culture of peace in your community/spheres of influence
• Discover opportunities to glorify God, serve others and grow to be like Christ, even in the midst of conflict.
Our Speaker: Bruce Burgess
Bruce Burgess - Bruce is the National Director of PeaceWise and is Australia’s first Certified Christian Conciliator. He holds degrees in Arts, Law, Christian Studies and Theology and is an international conference speaker. Bruce has a passion for seeing both adults and kids’ lives transformed by the power of the gospel of peace, for building communities of peace and for seeing God break through to repair, restore and sustain healthy relationships.
Schedule for 2019:
- April 30 – Everyday Peacemaking with Bruce Burges from PeaceWise
- June 13 – Mental Health with Rev Dr Keith Condie from ADM Mental Health and Pastoral Care Institute
- August 8 – Gender Equality in the Univertsity
- October – Prayer and Academia
- November 14 – Conflicts of Interest
- Justice (with Jacob Sarkodee from International Justice Mission)
- Doctrine of Creation (with Murray Smith from Christ College, Sydney)
- History (with Dr Meredith Lake, award winning author of The Bible in Australia and presenter for ABC Radio)
- Mental Health Seminar (with Leissa Aitken, clinical psychologist and PhD candidate)
- The Ethics of Technology (with Rev Dr Andrew Sloane from Morling College. Sydney)
- Faith in Science: Living Well as a Christian Science (with Dr Liz New (Chemistry), Dr Peter Kim (Maths), and Dr Luke Barnes (Physics))